As a global bank, we offer our international students a current account based on their needs.
We offer a current account that complies with all the requirements to apply for a visa. Our helpful Customer Administration staff also has years of experience working with international students.
For any questions about opening a blocked account, please contact our contact in the Customer Administration department in Germany or the VietinBank branch officers in Vietnam.
- Easy and fast account opening through WebIdent
- Years of expertise
- Free cash withdrawal at our ATMs
- Free Online Banking
- Support in German, English and Vietnamese language
What are the costs of opening a blocked account?
- All costs can be found in the current list of prices and services under "Conditions".
Which cards can be applied for when opening a blocked account?
- You will automatically receive a Maestro card. No other cards can be applied for.
What documents can be submitted to prove the origin of funds?
- Proof can be provided by means of a bank statement, proof of scholarship or other documents that at least correspond to the amount of money received. The proof must not be older than three months.
Where can I find all documents for opening a blocked account?
- Documents for opening, identifying, closing and other documents related to the blocked account can be found under "Forms".
Can I open a blocked account if I am already in Germany?
- Yes. To do so, print out all the necessary documents online and bring them to one of our VietinBank branches together with a valid ID.
When will I receive my account number and IBAN?
- You will receive all account details immediately after opening your blocked account.
What do I have to do if my place of residence changes?
- You must inform us of your change of residence.
Can I have family members or friends open the blocked account for me?
- No. The opening of a blocked account is only possible by the respective account holder. Blocked accounts cannot be opened by third parties.
What do I have to do once I arrive in Germany?
- Once you have arrived in Germany, you must activate your account at one of our branches.
When can funds be transferred to my blocked account?
- As soon as you have received your account details, you can transfer funds to your blocked account.
Can partial amounts of the blocked amount be transferred to the blocked account?
- Yes. You can transfer partial amounts of the blocked amount to your blocked account.
Can a sum of money exceeding the blocked amount be transferred to the blocked account?
- Yes, the amount exceeding the blocked amount will be made available as a credit on the blocked account.
Is it possible to transfer amounts in a currency other than Euro to the blocked account?
- Amounts in other currencies will be exchanged into Euro and credited.
What is a registration address and how do I obtain the registration certificate?
- This is the registered address at the residents' registration office during your studies/training in Germany. By having a current registration certificate, we can contact you and send you important documents.
How do I get cash in Germany?
- You can use your Maestro card to withdraw cash free of charge from our ATMs in Berlin. Please note that other banks charge fees for cash withdrawals at their ATMs.
My transfer/debit could not be executed. Why?
- Please check if there are sufficient funds in your blocked account and contact our customer service if necessary.
I have finished my studies and am leaving Germany. What do I have to do to close my blocked account?
- Please fill out the account closure form and submit it signed to us by mail or in person.
What documents must be submitted for blocking request?
- Only documents from German foreigners authorities, embassies or consulates can be submitted, provided they show that the blocked credit balance on your blocked account may be released.
Where can I find help on Online Banking?
- You can find information on Online Banking in our download area.